Monday, March 10, 2014

wireless-thermostat



Hello all, new to the forum, first post, so bear with me... I checked some other posts and couldn't my find exact answer, sorry if it is already there.
So I think I want a wireless thermostat, even though I've read some posts on here that advise otherwise. Therefore I am looking for a few pieces of advice: [I]do[I] I want a wireless thermostat? what are the options for types of wireless thermostats? and can you recommend an good model?
OK, so here's the situation. I heat with an oil burning furnace with steam radiators and a woodstove downstairs, in a two floor, single family home, about 1500 sq ft. I live in Maine, where it gets rather chilly at points in the winter. As you can imagine, the downstairs gets significantly warmer than the upstairs due to the woodstove. The thermostat doesn't usually kick on until sometime between 1 and 5 in the morning, once the fire has cooled down enough. So up until that time, the oil heat doesn't come on, because the thermostat is downstairs. Now this has always been fine, some heat still makes its way upstairs, and my wife and I have always preferred a cooler sleeping environment. The conflict arises in that we now have a 5 month old, and I'm worried it's going to be a little too chilly for him upstairs during the days and nights, while he naps and sleeps.
So... my thought of a solution is a wireless thermostat. My plan is to have the part that senses temperature be movable. I would keep this sensor upstairs most of the time, keeping his room at the desired temperature. I just purchased adjustable steam valves for my downstairs steam radiators, and I am hoping that with these turned down, it will reduce their output enough so that the downstairs doesn't get overheated. If need be, I could also shut the downstairs radiators off and on, but that might be a big pain daily...
Thoughts? What are the different types of wireless thermostat? I've seen some that have the controls on the wall unit, and some that have the controls on the sensor. I don't really care, but I think I just prefer it to be on the wall? Recommendation on a wireless thermostat model? Some of the units I have looked have a component that connects to the furnace too. Do you have to do this? Or can I just install a new thermostat on the first floor, and than have a wireless sensor?
Thanks for making it though my long post... and any advice you can offer would be great!!!

Honeywell Wireless - ForwardThinking
http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell...69_2054efs.pdf
I recommend Honeywell thermostats.

agreed..... what Houston said

OK thanks Houston and hvactecfw...
I take it by your suggestions that you agree a wireless thermostat would be appropriate for this application...
I've looked at the Honeywall wireless systems, and I'm still a little confused on what I specifically need. Can I get just a thermostat replacement for my current thermostat? And a remote? And that's it? Or... do I need to get the interface module for my furnace as well?
Thanks!

YTH6320R1001
it has all you need. this does not include the remote, they have a package that includes it if you want one, but it is not necessary for what you need.

Great, this was actually the package I was looking at, and yes, I don't need the remote control ability... So, is this something I can install myself? I have replaced my thermostat before, but I have never tinkered with my furnace. I need to install the interface module on the furnace, correct? What is that like? And then the return air sensor is just the remote temperature sensor, correct?
Thanks for your help and quick replies!

OK, hang on hvactechfw... So I looked at the installation manual for the EIM, and it looks a little over my head, and I realized the return air sensor is not the remote sensor. This actually looks a little different that what I was hoping to get.
Does Honeywell make a system where I can just replace my current thermostat with a thermostat that has a wireless remote/sensor? And therefore provides me with a wireless system where I don't need to install an EIM?
Does that make sense?

It looks like Honeywell has this ability with their Lutron model.
I''ll see what I can dig up...
Negative, it does not...

the one I suggested is a easy setup... the return air sensor doesnt have to be installed. You install the EIM near the furnace and run wire to it from the furnace. then you simply sync the eim to the stat and then mount the stat. You then just have a little bit of programming of the stat and you are done. We can walk you through the programming.

That's good it sounds easy to you, I appreciate your confidence... and I really appreciate all the help! What I'm worried about is the wiring to from the furnace to the EIM. I've never looked into the wires on the furnace. I've switched out the tstat before, but that was pretty straight forward.
So I am still not sure exactly what I need. Are you referring to something like the FocusPRO system:
Wireless FocusPRO® Systems - ForwardThinking
along with this kind of remote:
Portable Comfort Control™ - ForwardThinking
Why can't the tstat I use in this FocusPRO system sync with the remote? Doesn't it replace my current tstat? I still don't fully understand why I need the EIM. But if I do, and you think it's not too hard to install, maybe I will go for it... Yes?

the EIM is what receives the wireless signal..... the stat only transmits a signal, it does not receive the signal. I am talking about the same thing I recommended before..... You dont need the remote.... you would leave your current stat at its location so there is no wall marks or wires hanging out the wall..... The new stat would be wireless and could be mounted where you want it on the top floor....

Oh... so the new wireless stat doesn't replace my current stat? That's what I was thinking. Will the furnace be receiving two signals from two stats? Or do I just turn my current stat off? I don't anticipate using the wireless system forever. Could I disconnect the EIM in the future and stop using the wireless stat? And then go back to my current stat? Thanks again!

you would disconnect the current stat... wire in the new stat leaving all the old wiring available but disconnected. If and when you want to disconnect the EIM and new stat just wire back up the old stat. Question, why would you want to go back to the old stat?

OK, I think I get it, but let me make sure...
In this post, when you say wire in the new stat, that means wire in the EIM. The new stat will not have any wires connected to it, correct? Then, I don't have to mount the new wireless stat, right? I can leave it unmounted, so it is portable if I want to move it from room to room, right? And then, I disconnect my current wired stat, but leave it in place (not wired), correct?
As far as your question. I think I want to re-wire my current stat once my son is no longer an infant, and I no longer need to monitor the temperature in his room so closely. I think my current stat location is the most efficient for heating the entire house.
Let me know if I am correct with my summary above or if I am missing anything, or if you have any other questions. Thanks again!

yes, you are correct.... you only unwire the the current stat at the furnace. Run new wire to the EIM. the new stat is completely wireless (no wires run to it) and does not have to be mounted and can be moved from room to room.

OK, thanks. I think I am going to go for it. So disconnect the current stat at the furnace, not at the stat? And then connect the EIM where the current stat is connected?

Yes. That is correct.............






Tags: wireless, thermostat, current stat, stat then, wire stat, wireless thermostat, disconnect current, replace current, return sensor, that have