Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Stain Color To Match Brazilian Cherry Red Oak



I am installing Brazilian cherry and am looking for a matching color to stain my moldings. I could'nt get the same wood for the accessories and so I have to get an unfinished wood and stain it to the natural color of BC wood.
I would need T-Moldings, Reducers and Probably shoe moldings....
I got one opinion that I could use 'Red Oak' stain which would get close in color to the BC color....
Can someone look into this and help ????
Thanks a lot.........sun1974

Brazilian Cherry has as wide range of colors. Matching a color may be a challenge because of this. There will tend to be no two boards of exactly the same color. Too, Brazilian Cherry tends to darken as it ages and is exposed to light. Some boards will darken to almost a blood red color. Not all boards are the same color.
What is important is that you note that trim pieces, even in the same wood species, tend not to be an exact match. Trim pieces should complement the floor.
There are flooring companies that offer Brazilian Cherry trim pieces such as T-molds reducers. Finding baseboards shoe mold may be a little more challenging. You can do an online search for these.
One option is to take several pieces of Brazilian Cherry to your local paint shop and a few pieces of oak and try to have some stains mixed to complement the flooring. Because red oak has such a close graining pattern, which Brazilian Cherry does not, you might also want to experiment with stains on maple. Cherry stain on maple appears to be very complementary to Brazilian Cherry.

Sun1974,
I had the same problem as you. I found the widest variety and lowest cost of Brazilian Cherry trim through this web site: http://www.onlinefloorstore.com/store/mfgline/?id=174
Not sure if you need finished or unfinished. The prices quoted are for unfinished pieces, but I called them direct (on the contact us link) and got pre-finished pieces for about 50% more depending on the piece. They had to contact the manufacurer in Canada to get an exact quote and the minimum number of pieces I had to buy. This was still significantly cheaper than other web sites and they had all the different types of pieces I needed. The pre-finished pieces also matched my pre-finished floor so I didn't have to worry about color mismatch, especially as the Brazillian Cherry darkens with exposure.

Check the DIY home page for an advertisement and link to one of DIY's sponsors www.fastfloors.com You can also do additional online searches for other companies who offer hardwood flooring trim pieces.






Tags: stain, color, match, brazilian, cherry, Brazilian Cherry, trim pieces, Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Cherry trim, Cherry trim, pre-finished pieces, same color, same wood