Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What Are Mobile Home Axles Worth



I want to build a trailer and I see at the place where a friend works has a pile of mobile home axles out front for $75 each, some have brakes. They dont look to bad, they are rusty from laying outside. Is this a fair price?

Probably, I sold a set of 2 MH axles off the MH I had in fla over 20 yrs ago. The guy gave me $100 and he took them off.
Be sure to pick up each side of the axle and spin the hub/drum to make sure it rolls free.

Michael,
I am unsure if this holds true for where you are but in most of Canada you are not permitted to use axles that are designed for mobile home use on anything other than a mobile home.
The problem is that they are designed for pretty much a single use.
Not sure what style wheels your mobile axles use but here they are a ring wheel and clamp fastening much like a semi wheel.
These wheels are a dead giveaway and will pulled of the road by an inspector.
Also, here anyway, the tires used for mobile transport are labeled as such.
The proper tire will be marked Transport if it is ok.
The problem with these ring and clamp wheels are that they are easy to not get on straight and will quickly loosen and fall off.
I have a pair of MH braking axles but can make them legal by installing a set of drums that will fit an 8 bolt pattern truck rim.
I also have a stockpile of steel to make a 7 1/2' x 20' tilting car hauler and will build it if I can only stop spending so much time on these forums.
Curious to know if these axles are legal where you are.

Originally Posted by GregH
Curious to know if these axles are legal where you are.
Im not sure if they are legal or not, everybody and their brother has a trailer with them on it. One of my dads freinds has a 18ft double axle car hauler with 2 MH axles. Most days I could probably see 10 trailers with them on the road.
These are the ring wheel axles, I have 5 brand new tires on rims but no axles. I was going to try to sell or trade the tires off to my dads friend with the car hauler but thought maybe I would build my own trailer.

Ya, you may be ok where you are.
Our laws tend to me more strict than most places.
Here any trailer with a registered gross weight over 2000 lbs have to have brakes and any trailer over 10,000 lbs must have an annual safety inspection.
You also have to keep in mind that if you have to buy all your steel and small bits you might find it cheaper to buy a good used trailer.
With steel prices the way they are you may get sticker shock when you add up what it will cost you.
Exactly what do you plan to build?

I have an old tandem trailer that I use to transport my tractor and occasionally a car or other items. It has drop axles but they use the same rim that mobile home axles do. It is correct that you aren't supposed to use MH tires but my 'legal' tires got bald and weather checked so I put on 4 MH tires/rims that I didn't have to pay for.......ssshhhhhh, don't tell anyone
THis trailer required registration and tag when I bought it in fla but when I moved to tenn. there is no such requirement unless it's being pulled by a commercial vehicle.

Here we have government auto insurance so when we register a vehicle or trailer, liability insurance is included.
Does it mean that if you do not require registration in Tenn. does it also mean it is uninsured for liability?

Your insurance automatically covers trailer liability unless your policy specifies otherwise. The way I understand my AARP hartford policy, it is covered provided I'm not using the trailer for business. Obviously full coverage requires additional premium.

I live in michigan and you can build a trailer take it to a grain elevator and pay $4 and get a paper with your weight and go get your license plate. You dont need any inspection for it. In indiana I think you need to have it inspected if you build one.
Id like to build a 18ft car hauler like my dads friend has. Ive been watching for almost 2 years and cant find a used one. It wouldnt get used alot otherwise Id look into a better trailer. I was going to price new steel and sometimes the scrap yards will have good stuff like channel iron and they will sell it.
I think mobile home axles are rated at 3000lb each. The trailer my dads friend has we had about 10,000lbs on it.
I think my grandma has 10 axles under her double wide, I should sneek some of those out some day.

Originally Posted by michaeljp86
I think mobile home axles are rated at 3000lb each.
More than that they are rated over 7500 LBS per axle depending if soild axle or hollow axle my freind have soild axle that can take much as 12 K per axle but he consering about 7 K per axle.
Merci,Marc






Tags: mobile, home, axles, mobile home, home axles, build trailer, dads friend, that they, 3000lb each, also have, axles legal, axles legal where, axles rated, axles rated 3000lb