Monday, March 10, 2014

Cut Plexiglass



Sorry, I didn't know where the best place for this is. I was wondering cut 1/4 in. Plexiglass? (I was told it's too thick to score and snap.) Thanks.....

You can buy an inexpensive plexiglass scoring tool. Score it about 15 times and then snap it at the edge of a table or put a 1/2 dowel under the score and press down on both sides. This will not work if you are trying to cut off a few inches.

I have never had much luck with snapping plexiglass, or glass for that matter.
For plexi, I have cut it on a band saw and used a jig saw. The edge is not smooth but that can be remedied if needed.
Be sure to leave the paper on the plexi to avoid scratching.

Originally Posted by johnam
...This will not work if you are trying to cut off a few inches.
Yes, that's the problem. I'm only going to need to trim a few inches.
I don't have a band saw, and I was told a jig saw wouldn't work too well. But appearance isn't a concern, only correct fit. You think a jig saw would work? Do I need a really fine blade?
How about a hand saw? Would that be a practical solution?
PS - on a completely unrelated topic, anybody know why vB code isn't working for me? Under posting rules it says vB Code is off but I can't see any way to turn it on in my profile.

Originally Posted by coaster
Yes, that's the problem. I'm only going to need to trim a few inches.
I don't have a band saw, and I was told a jig saw wouldn't work too well. But appearance isn't a concern, only correct fit. You think a jig saw would work? Do I need a really fine blade?
How about a hand saw? Would that be a practical solution?
PS - on a completely unrelated topic, anybody know why vB code isn't working for me? Under posting rules it says vB Code is off but I can't see any way to turn it on in my profile.
A _variable speed_ jig saw with a fine tooth blade will work, remember, plexi is just plastic, and plastic melts when it gets hot, such as when a hot blade goes cutting through it.
vb code.. those settings are controlled by the admin/moderator of each forum and cannot be changed except by them.

Ya, OK, that's what I thought. Mine's not variable speed. How about a hand saw?
Re the vB Code, is that a function of member status? ie can I ask to have it turned on when I reach a certain nbr of posts? Thnks.....
Kind of odd to have a quote button that works, but the code doesn't.

the vB codes are either on or off, depending on the topic they're in. the moderator(s) of the topic has to request they be turned on. in all my topics, they're on. it's annoying when they're turned off, i know! sorry....

It's all off since there is no full time moderator in this forum.

OK, thanks. This is the only board I've seen set up that way so pardon me for being firstly confused, and then curious. It says here the smileys work:

If a jigsaw is used, fine tooth blades will melt the sawdust, making a gummy mess. A course tooth will work better and cut faster.
When I cut acrylic (plexiglass) I do it on the table saw using a plain old carbide blade, and I just feed it slowly and make sure it stays flat on the table- don't allow it to chatter or jump.

Originally Posted by XSleeper
If a jigsaw is used, fine tooth blades will melt the sawdust, making a gummy mess. A course tooth will work better and cut faster.
When I cut acrylic (plexiglass) I do it on the table saw using a plain old carbide blade, and I just feed it slowly and make sure it stays flat on the table- don't allow it to chatter or jump.
You run the risk of chipping the plexi with a course blade.
As long as you go slow (hence the need for a variable speed saw), it won't melt.
If you have a battery powered saw, even better, run a small stream of water along the cut. Keeps the plexi cool, and clears the debris.

The guy already mentioned that appearance isn't a concern, only correct fit so my comments reflect that rationale. I realize it may chip. In my experience, the fine chips along the sawcut are almost always covered by some sort of edge trim, so they really don't matter if they will be covered. If the edge was exposed, or he WAS concerned about the appearance... then that would obviously be a different matter.

I ended up using my single-speed jigsaw with a course blade. The cuts are chipped and it made quite a mess with chips and plexiglass dust flying everywhere (don't try this without safety glasses) but it was fast and easy and got the job done. Thanks to all for your input.

I never done this but you could try a plywood blade on a skill saw turn the blade backwardsand let er rip.

For future reference; take it to your local glass shop and they will usually cut it for free. Alot of hardware stores can do it as well if they have a good service dept.

Originally Posted by bluegrass
For future reference; take it to your local glass shop and they will usually cut it for free. Alot of hardware stores can do it as well if they have a good service dept.
I don't think they will cut plexiglass that you bought elsewhere without a charge.

Cutting vinyl siding works perfectly with a plywood blade in reverse. I would expect that would have worked well in this case also... no?

That was suggested 3 posts up from yours in this old thread... And while it may work, I believe some of the moderators here frown on the suggestion to turn a saw blade around from the way it was designed to safely operate.

I will state safey is first! However, there is minimal difference in the phyisic with a circular saw. Vinyl siding is and should be cut with the saw blade reversed. With that said I have cut plexi with this method. It works as well as the above mentioned methods. Here are the best ways to do this.
Clamp you sheet on table w/ strip of wood on top paralell w/ direction on cut.
support waist end.
Use a China Maker or Grease Marker to make line (found in tile dept. w/ tools
Make sure Plexi is in temp range of 65-100 degrees F, if cold plexi is more likely to crack or spider.
Spray plexi with warm tap water, just a heavy misting on plexi NOT soaking (remember electricity and water) The water will keep the blade cool.
Make sure saw is [unpluged] reverse blade, eye ear protection a must.
line up saw and proceed at slow to moderate cutting pace DO NOT try to go fast.
One extra helpful tip for beginners, try to line up clamp board to use as a guide rail on the left side of saw, line blade up w/ line bring board to saw plate clamp this end, at the ending side lift saw guard line blade w/ line and bring board to saw plate now clamp this end. Recheck start end of plexi.
Good luck

I have cut about 8 sheets (4X8) in to different sizes and have used a router.I did get a few melted bits here and there but just broke them off.NO chipping or splitting.You do have to use wood to brace it from moving around.i just used a 2x4 as a guide and cut.

Is it possible to cut plexiglass with a hacksaw? I just have one small piece that I am wanting to cut into smaller strips fit into the bottom of a wire shelving rack. Any suggestions?

Any type saw with a fine blade will cut plexiglass.

This may not work for just a small trim but I used a chainsaw to cut thick plexiglass last night.
The trick is to keep it steady and touch the tip to the top of the plexiglass and then let it eat it's way all the way through and then follow your line and you may need to pull the saw out to use the tip going through for a lot of the cut as I did since I was cutting out a 38 1/2 inch x 11 1/2 inch chunk from a huge piece.
I don't recommend this method for everyone but it worked alright for me. It left a little rough edges but I didn't need the edges perfect as it was for a home made aquarium canopy and wood will be covering the edges.
I started with a hacksaw for the 11 1/2 inch cut but it was taking long so I switched to a wood saw which worked a little quicker but was still a heck of a workout that's when I grabbed my chainsaw for the longer cut.

skillsaw with 40 tooth blade
heres a thread on it sounds like it works well
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=plexiglass

I justed tried to cut 1/4 plexiglass for the first time after reading this forum. Here was my experience:
I used a table saw with a 40 tooth 10 carbide-tipped blade--nothing fancy, just what I already had. I turned it backwards as was suggested above.
The plexiglass melted all over the place. I tried spraying water, same thing.
Then I turned the blade the normal way. No more melting.
It was about 55 degrees in the sun when I started and in the 40s when I finished. I didn't notice any chipping.
I also did some cuts with a circular saw. It had whatever blade came with it (20 teeth?) No melting, cut fine.

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would add my 2 cents. I cut plexi with a metal cutting band saw. The blade runs slow and doesn't melt plus you can cut circular shapes.

Plexiglass can be cut with a variety of blades and tools: Click here for some options:
Plastic Fabricating Tools Accessories - Order Online .
You can also buy it pre-cut to size from Professional Plastics website Plexiglass - PLEXIGLASS SHEET - Order Online - Buy Plastic. They sell wholesale and retail.

Stop using cutting blades for plexiglass.
Use inexpensive grinding blades.
My favorite tool is my diamond tip blade on my grinder. It takes more skill than a saw but easily mastered and you can always use a guide. You can also put a diamond blade in a minny saw. similar results. You can use a laminate cutter but it may have to high RPM to cut easily for some. I have used both.
Let the blade cut of melt away the edges I can cut a piece a small as 14' inch cleanily






Tags: plexiglass, will work, Originally Posted, plexi with, they will, about hand, appearance concern, appearance concern only, appearance concern only correct, concern only, concern only correct