Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Make My Healthy Version Of Russian Tea

Have you ever heard of Russian tea? Up until recently, I hadn't--but the idea of it intrigued me. It's a spicy black tea blend with a distinct orange flavor. Most versions, however, contain A LOT of sugar. Since I know sugar is bad for me, I knew I had to do something different. I hunted online to find alternatives and couldn't find anything that managed to capture the citrus flavors--so I knew I had to develop my own. Here is what I came up with.


Instructions


1. Purchase the oranges and lemons (organic, if possible) and dry them yourself; this way the citrus oils will be at their freshest.


2. Mix all of the ingredients except for the essential oil and honey in the mixing bowl. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. Add the essential oil and stir.


3. Store in an airtight container away from heat and light.


4. When you want a cup of tea, mix 1 tsp. of the dried tea for each cup of hot water. Let it steep for 5 minutes, then remove the tea leaves. Sweeten to taste with honey.







Tags: