Monday, August 17, 2009

Shop At A Farmer'S Market

Have you heard the phrases "organically grown" and "seasonally fresh local produce" and think you may be missing out? Have you happened by a farmers market but found the hullabaloo overwhelming?--How many apples shall I get? How do I know what I will use? If you are interested in doing your weekly shopping at a farmer's market, these tips may help. Shopping at the farmer's market is great fun and helps you feel part of your community. I love being outdoors, and I feel like I have a "European lifestyle" for the 45 minutes I am at the market.


Instructions


1. Farmer's markets are gaining in popularity and becoming widespread. Google "farmer's market" and the name of your community, and you should be able to find a local farmers market with the days/hours they are open.


2. Make a shopping list of either ingredients for a special meal you are preparing or of fruit and vegetables you use regularly during the week. Many farmers markets, in addition to fresh produce, also sell bread, meat, eggs, nuts, dried fruit, etc.


3. I find it very helpful to use a shopping cart. This easily folds up and fits in the trunk or backseat of my car. You can find a shopping cart at a neighborhood hardware store.


4. Allow time on your first visit to identify favorite vendors. I like to take a survey of all the vendors first and return to the ones who have the freshest produce. In Santa Monica, I like to get salad greens from Maggie's Farm.


5. It's fun to check out all the different varieties of heirloom tomatoes, salad greens, eggplant, etc.


6. Because I have a regular routine for shopping, I like to buy heavier produce (squash, apples, grapefruit, etc.) first to put in the bottom of the cart, and more fragile produce (salad greens, berries, etc.) at the end of my shopping so that it goes in the top of the cart. This minimizes repacking the shopping cart.


7. I like to finish with a bouquet of flowers. They are better deals at the market than at a florist, and it is a treat!


8. The market can be a great place for gift ideas. If you have visiting friends for dinner, pick up a bouquet for them. Last week, I saw wreaths that can used through the autumn and holiday season.







Tags: farmer market, salad greens, shopping cart, cart This, farmers market, market great, your community